What’s your dream job? If you’re anything like us here at Post Launch, you want to be in a position where you can help people, be creative, and work in a progressive and evolving industry. Here’s what it takes to start a web presence marketing career.
How to Start a Career in Digital Marketing
First and foremost, a Bachelor’s degree of some sort can always enhance your odds in getting hired at a successful digital marketing agency. However, the subject you study can be pretty flexible. See, because digital marketing is so new, there aren’t really many formal college programs dedicated to the practical application of digital marketing tactics.
Many of our team members have degrees in various fields, like English, Journalism, Marketing, Business, and more. You can make your degree work for you as long as you have the drive to continue to learn.
Online training to enhance your knowledge
Because college courses are limited, and because Internet marketing is always changing, it’s best to continue learning even after that special sheet of paper is handed to you. Online learning portals like Udemy, Lynda—even YouTube—are great places to learn about this field. Learn from the people who are already doing it well and willing to spread their knowledge.
To get started in a web presence marketing career, get well-versed in these topics:
- Traditional marketing concepts
- Digital marketing vocabulary
- Web analytics
- Social media platforms
Practice marketing yourself
Before starting any web presence marketing career, try the tactics you’re learning on yourself. Consider yourself a brand. Stay alive and active on your own social media platforms. Start your own website and blog. See how the best practices you’ve learned will work on yourself as a brand, and then apply it to clients you work with in the future.
Qualifications of a digital marketer
Digital marketing career growth calls for a certain type of person. Here are some qualities of successful people who are in web presence marketing careers:
- They’re readers. Subscribe to newsletters from industry professionals to learn about the latest updates and trends.
- They’re fast, enthusiastic learners. The Internet changes all the time. You must be willing to adapt and change your strategy based on these changes.
- They’re people persons. Networking is a huge part of any marketing career. Join groups and become friends with people who are smarter and more experienced than you.
- They’re nerds. Sorry, but it’s true. To strive in this field, you must be tech-savvy. You have to know the ins and outs of a website. (And it’s always fun to talk to your team about Harry Potter, Star Wars, and superheroes every now and then.)
Seasoned Digital Marketers
At Post Launch, our team is comprised of people who not only know the best practices in Internet marketing, but who are also passionate about this work. Find out how communication, dedication, gumption, and intelligence led us to perform some pretty successful digital marketing campaigns.